Zyl – also called zylonite or cellulose acetate, is the most popular plastic used for eyeglass frames. Frame shapes are created from blocks of multilayered plastic sheets. The material originates from natural cotton fibers and tree pulp, giving the frames a more natural feel. The material is very flexible, lightweight, and hypoallergenic. Zyl or Acetate frames are available in a wide variety of individual colors, multi-colours and layered colours.
Injection Molded Frames
Injection molded frames are made by liquefying plastic into and mould. The material is more flexible and cost efficient to produce, but injection molded frames can look inferior to other materials and have less of an organic feel. Injection moulded materials can also hold hidden defects from the injection process
This is a nylon-based plastic that is strong, flexible, lightweight and hypoallergenic. Propionate is often used in sports frames because of its durability.
Nylon is strong, lightweight and flexible, but it can become brittle with age. It is generally blended with other materials, such as polyamides, copolyamides and gliamides, to enhance durablitiy.
Metal is the most popular material for eyeglass frames.
- Titanium. This metal is 40% lighter than other metals. The material is very strong, durable, corrosion-resistant, and hypoallergenic, so an ideal material high skin acidity. Titanium frames are available in many colors and are generally 30 – 40% more costly than other metals.
- Beta titanium. This is a titanium alloy, combined with small amounts of aluminum and vanadium. Where 100% titanium is rigid, the presence of these other metals in the alloy make beta titanium more flexible for easier fitting adjustment.
- Memory metal. This is a titanium alloy composed of roughly 50% titanium and 50% nickel. Frames made of memory metal are extremely flexible towards twisting or bending, yet return to their original shape. This feature makes memory metal frames very durable.
- Beryllium. This material also resists corrosion and tarnishing, ideal for anyone with high skin acidity or who spends time in or around salt water. It’s also lightweight, strong, flexible and available in a wide range of colors. It lower-cost alternative to titanium.
- Stainless steel. This is an iron-carbon alloy that also contains chromium. Stainless steel frames are lightweight, strong, durable and flexible. They are nickel free, therefore, corrosion-resistant and can have matte or polished finishes.
- Monel. This material is an alloy of nickel and copper and is the main metal used in the eyewear market. Using trusted brand names is important, because depending on the quality of the plating used – Monel frames may or may not discolor and cause skin reactions over time.
Quality and Innovation characterize the titanium and SPX, designed by Silhouette engineers, making Silhouette the undisputed leader in the processing of glasses made of high-tech materials.
Made from the same materials as high performance race cars, combining a high “strength to weigh ratio” with exceptional regidity and endurance.
With both metal and plastic components, these frames offer versatility in style, texture and colours. Iconic influences from the 1950s and 1960s, have expanded on a “chic nerd” styling for all ages and genders. There are many types of materials you can choose, with each having its own distinctive properties.
Other unique frame materials include wood, bone, carbon fiber, precious metals, precious stones, leather and velvet. Click to view some innovative manufacturers:
OGA is a masculine Scandanavinan design, inspired by architecture. Some of these unique frames conbine wood and synthetic glass–which gives the impression of coherent material, as though created by nature.
OGA frames focus on design and quality rather than extravagance.
They are designed for men with confidence and a contemporary aesthetic sense. Men who above all seek to please themselves with their purchase. Men who take care with their appearancc and want different frames that assert their personality and creative spirit, but is neither showy nor compromisng of comfort.